Saturday, March 5, 2011

Spirituality is no contradiction to responsibility and organization

A melava malka story:  (ht: Major Impact, by Rabbi Dovid Kaplan, Targum Press, p.88)
The Rebbe of Belz was known to daven (pray) quickly.  A man once approached him and asked that he daven for a very sick relative.  The Rebbe davened Shmoneh Esrei (the Amidah, the Silent Prayer which is the focus of the services in synagogue) that day twenty minutes longer than his usual Shemoneh Esrei.  For the next two years (!) his daily schedule was off by exactly twenty minutes.
*  COMMENT:  Whenever something is important, people relate to it with responsibility and organization.  Reb Shalom of Belz regarded avodas Hashem (his prayers, especially for others, ED.) as something important.

I love this story.  Its not for me at my level of service.  But for the Rebbe, its instructive to see how he took the responsibility to apply extra effort spiritually, to focus his concern for another human being by praying for his recovery at length.  Yet, this extra effort was a part of his personal efforts for himself, which were never abondoned in lieu of his concern for another.  Hence, his daily schedule, which must of consisted of his own personal spiritual efforts, was off time, but never ignored. 

He cared about his own growth, but with responsibility and organization, he was able to fit other into it. 

I can't match that level of effort.  But I can try to implement the idea into my own life.  Like take 2 extra minutes to thank G-d with all my heart (developing an attitude of Gratitude) and really think of others needs in my own prayer (connecting with someone outside of myself, lessening my egoism.)

Responsibility and organization, for 1 minute.  I can try that.
And I will, bli neder, this week.  Let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment